If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best vacuum sealer for beef jerky is, then we recommend the FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine.
Making beef jerky at home is a fairly simple process—all you really need is a good recipe, a quality food dehydrator, and a solid dose of time and patience. That being said, there are certain tips and tricks you can follow to improve the quality of your finished product, and owning a vacuum sealer for marinading is one of them.
In this article, we’re going to review the following vacuum sealers that are great for beef jerky:
- FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine
- GERYON Vacuum Sealer
- Mueller Automatic Vacuum Air Sealing System
- Homgeek Vacuum Sealer Machine
- FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine
- WAOAW Compact Vacuum Sealer Machine
What Are the Benefits of Using a Vacuum Sealer?
In order to understand what makes a vacuum sealer such a good investment, you first need to know the basic science behind marinades.
There are three components to a typical marinade: an enzyme, or acid, for tenderization; seasoning and spices to infuse the meat with flavor; and an oil to seal in the flavor and add moisture.
As the enzymes work to break down the tissue, the flavors are allowed to fully absorb into the first layer of the meat. The longer you marinate the beef, the more pronounced your flavorings will be.
When you use a vacuum sealer to aid in this process, the meat’s tissue is pulled apart still further, allowing the seasonings to penetrate more deeply. The vacuum pressure also removes the air from the sealed unit, leaving the meat to be fully suffused with the marinade. This also prevents the meat from spoiling too quickly, as vacuum-sealed meats can last for up to two weeks when the process is done properly.
It’s no secret that the proper seasonings are an essential component in beef jerky. If the flavor isn’t terrific, you’ll be disappointed with the final product—and the last thing you want is for all that hard work to go to waste. Making beef jerky may be a time-consuming process, but using a vacuum sealer will help to ensure great flavor—and with very little effort required on your part.
Vacuum Sealer for Beef Jerky Reviews
While there’s no question that using a vacuum sealer to marinate the beef for jerky is beneficial, not all sealers are created equally. Since the unit will be worthless if it doesn’t seal the food correctly, choosing the right one is vital. Read on to learn more about the top products on the market, and to determine which one might be the best value for your dollar.
- STRETCH YOUR DOLLAR: Meat preserved with the...
- #1 VACUUM SEALING SYSTEM: FoodSaver keeps...
- EASY LOCK AND LATCH: One handed operation...
FoodSaver is a leading brand in the vacuum sealer industry, and this unit provides a good reason why. The one-hand lock and latch operation is simple, even for beginners, and the LED light indicators make the process even more hassle-free. The unit is compact and easy to clean, with a removable drip tray included for catching spills.
Included in every purchase is a starter kit, complete with rolls and bags to give you an indication of which ones you should buy in the future. Additional accessories, such as a vacuum hose and Mason jar sealers, are sold separately. The V2244 is compliant with current food safety standards, having been certified by Nationally Recognized Test Laboratories (NRTLs).
The V2244 is set at an average price for this type of unit. Users should be careful not to get any oil or liquid in the area that’s meant to be sealed, as this can prevent it from closing tightly enough.
- Easy to use
- Fast cleanup
- LED lights help indicate when to engage and release the vacuum
- Reasonable price point
- Compatible with a number of other attachments
- Must be used frequently, or else the gaskets might dry out
- Customer service tends to be subpar, should there be any problem with the unit
- Food vacuum sealer removes air from specially...
- Geryon food vacuum sealer fits up to 12''...
- Automatic vacuum sealing operation,...
This budget option offers simplicity in both form and function, as its no-frills operation is easy enough for beginners to understand. It’s also compact and easily stored, making it a good choice for smaller kitchens. Despite its relatively small size, the unit is capable of sealing bags that are up to a foot wide, so it’s suitable for whipping up larger batches of jerky.
While the automatic sealer function is hands-free, there’s also a stop button to allow you greater control over the vacuum pressure. Should you need additional guidance, the LED lights will let you know when the unit has finished its work. Typically, you should allow about one minute of rest before firing up the machine for another seal.
The starter kit includes five heat-seal bags, one roll, and a lifetime guarantee of support for the unit as a whole. Considering the low price tag, this warranty is a generous one.
- Low price point
- Lifetime warranty
- Easy to use
- Compact size
- Performance can be spotty if used too frequently
- Indicator light only tells you when the machine is sealing, not when it’s ready to begin
- SAVE MONEY AND TIME: Cooking and meal...
- COULDN'T BE EASIER: Fully automatic simple...
- DUAL SEALING MODES: Useful and practical,...
The Mueller system features an easy-to-follow control center and LED indicator lights to help take the guesswork out of the sealing process. As a bonus, it also comes equipped with two different settings for moist and dry products, so you can also use the machine to store the finished jerky when your batch is complete. A suction hose, five bags, and extra-long roll are included in the purchase.
Like the FoodSaver V2244, this unit is priced mid-range—but not a budget price either. The machine will take up more counter space than some similar models, but it’s flat enough to be stored easily when not in use. Finally, the motor runs quietly enough for the unit to be used at any hour of the day or night, without disturbing sleeping household members.
- Average price point
- Easy to use
- Different settings for marinade and finished product
- Suction hose included
- Measures wider from back to front than some comparable models
- Long wait time between seals—sometimes up to five minutes
- LAB Certified product and 24 Months Quality...
- Perfect Money and Time Saver: This Vacuum...
- Easy to Operate: Designed with fully...
Another user-friendly machine at a budget price, the Homgeek is worthy of consideration whether you’re a casual user or an industry professional. In addition to the dry and moist food settings, this model offers both “normal” and “soft” options, which may come in handy if you intend to use your vacuum sealer for other functions besides marinating and storing beef jerky. There’s also a built-in cutter for the bags, which helps to cut down on waste.
Users should note that the buttons are quite sensitive—something that comes in handy when you’re attempting a single-hand operation, but which can lead to accidents if you’re not careful. Five bags are included, and the built-in cutter will help you determine what size you’ll need before investing in more. This unit has been ETL and GS certified for food safety, and comes with a 24-month warranty.
- Value price
- Easy to use
- Settings for dry and moist food
- Settings for “normal” and “soft” food
- Built-in cutter
- Two-year warranty
- Users will need to take care with the overly sensitive buttons
- Large quantities of very moist food don’t always seal well
- SAVE MONEY AND SEAL FRESHNESS IN: Meat...
- AUTOMATIC BAG DETECTION: Automatic bag...
- SIMPLE TO USE: Built in roll storage and...
If you’re in the market for a truly hands-free, user-friendly operation, this automatic machine could be the answer. The unit features a vacuum chamber with automatic bag detection—just put the bag in the chamber, and the sealing process begins. There’s also a moisture detecting function that helps to create the perfect seal every time, even with moist foods such as marinated beef for jerky.
The display is sophisticated, but not difficult to follow; functions are clearly marked, and the LED lights make them that much simpler to read from a distance. The V4400 is compatible with both 8- and 11-inch FoodSaver rolls, so you can choose the size that best suits your needs. Performance is consistent, and the company offers buyers a five-year warranty, which helps to justify the high price tag.
Additional items like bottle stoppers and Mason jar sealers are also compatible with this unit, but these are sold separately. Finally, note that the fully automatic models come with a trade-off—it’s difficult, if not impossible, to control how much of the bag is used and how much is wasted.
- Hands-free, user-friendly operation
- Easy-to-read display with LED lighting
- Moisture detection
- Compatible with a myriad of additional attachments
- High price point
- Automatic function can lead to excess bag waste
- Slow sealing process
- Customer service can be slow to respond when there’s an issue
- Food Saving, Space Saving, Time Saving and...
- Fits up to 11.6'' wide quart and gallon...
- One touch vacuum sealer operation, Hands-free...
This is a super budget option, with a price point that hovers at the lower end of the vacuum sealers currently on the market. If you chose to splurge on your dehydrator and don’t believe you have enough left over to afford an additional appliance, this unit might allow you to reconsider that position.
The WAOAW vacuum sealer is able to fit bags measuring up to 11.6 inches wide, but the unit itself is narrow and exceptionally easy to store. It will also take up a bare minimum of counter space, which could come in handy for smaller kitchens. Operation is hands-free and quite simple, with seal indicator lights to let you know when you can move on to the next batch.
The starter kit includes 15 bags and a user manual, along with the sealer itself. At this price, you shouldn’t expect many frills, but if you’re looking for pure function over form, the HoleCards offering should get the job done just fine.
- Very affordable price point
- Simple to use
- Easy to store
- 15 bags included in purchase
- No warranty
- May need to invest in frequent replacements if used often
Whether you make beef jerky on a regular basis or just a few times a year, a vacuum sealer will help to ensure that your product is of the highest possible quality
We use and recommend the FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine, but take your time and select the one that’s best for you
Last update on 2019-08-25