If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best beef jerky for diabetics is, then we recommend the Mission Meats Keto Grass-fed Beef Sticks.
Finding Snacks as a Diabetic
A person with diabetes will often struggle between trying to keep their blood sugar stable while avoiding high sugar snacks that spike their insulin. This can be difficult, especially if you’re trying to lower your overall sugar intake. Beef jerky, however, is a fantastic snack, loaded with protein — and if it’s high quality, made without sugar.
In this article, we’re going to review the following beef jerky products that are high in protein and made without sugar:
- New Mexico Foods All Natural Beef Jerky
StryveKeto Protein Jerky
- Mission Meats Keto Grass-fed beef sticks
Benefits of Beef Jerky for Diabetics
Jerky in all forms is a dehydrated, often seasoned meat, suitable for long storage and ideal for on-the-go consumption. Its high protein profile and low glycemic impact make it a great choice for diabetics,
Even though it’s very good in theory, however, many companies – particularly mainstream jerky makers – load their products up with glazes or cure them with sugar. Though it might not seem like a large amount of sugar in some cases, it’s enough to cause a reaction in someone who is diabetic. In addition, taking a perfect snack and adding sugar detracts from the actual benefits.
Finding a good beef jerky for your personal tastes while ensuring that it is made healthfully can be a tricky prospect. A little extra research and planning can go a long way in ensuring you have a healthy, ready-to-eat snack that’s perfect for diabetics.
Beef Jerky Reviews
- All natural range free beef with 0...
- Free of all common allergens: Gluten Free,...
- Great snack for diabetics that won't raise...
- Our hatch green and red chili is all natural...
- If you would like 4 packs of all one flavor...
Cured without sugar and preservatives, New Mexico brand beef jerky is ideal for those people looking to keep their carb counts low, particularly diabetics. Though it is a bit higher in price, you’re paying for quality; the jerky itself is tender and delicious. It’s offered in a variety of flavors, including peppered, green chile, red chile, and chipotle among others. This is a particularly unique scenario as most jerky “flavors” are simply something like Teriyaki or BBQ, where they’re tossed in a sugary coating.
- Variety of non-sugary flavors
- Tender and flavorful
- Nutritionally sound
- Preservative free
- Ideal for diabetics
- Expensive – the price is a bit on the higher side
- You can only order it in bundles, so to try it requires a minimum investment of 35 for 4 pouches.
- STRYVE BILTONG IS BEEF DONE BETTER - Stryve...
- MORE PROTEIN. NO ADDITIVES. WHOA. - Stryve...
- ZERO SUGAR. ALL FUN. - Our high quality steak...
- GLUTEN-FREE. DAIRY-FREE. SUGAR-FREE. EXTRA...
- I'D RATHER BE SNACKING - Training for a...
Designed primarily for people following a ketogenic diet (one that adheres to
Because it was made with keto dieters in mind, this particular product has a bit more of the healthy beef fat included, making for a moist, tender product as compared to a lot of jerky, which can be dry or chewy. In addition, the price of this jerky is better than most — and for a large, 10-ounce bag, that’s one of the better values you’ll find on jerky.
- Good price for a large, resealable bag
- Good macros – high protein, less than 1g of carbs, and some healthy fats
- Not a good variety of flavors
- Though the amount of sugar is trivial, there is still some which could be negative for purists
- ⭑ MADE WITH ONLY THE BEST GRASS FED BEEF!...
- ⭑ BEEF STICKS WITH NO ADDED NITRATES OR...
- ⭑ GLUTEN FREE AND MSG FREE BEEF BAR SNACKS!...
- ⭑ EACH PURCHASE YOU MAKE SUPPORTS AMAZING...
- ⭑ ZERO CARB GRASS FED BEEF STICKS YOU WILL...
It’s hard to find a jerky that tastes amazing, is healthy, and is made without sugar of any kind or preservatives. This particular jerky hits all of those and more; the fact that it’s produced from grass-fed cattle means the omega-3 fatty acids are going to be through the roof. Since omega-3s are needed for optimal heart and brain health, this is a very good thing. In addition, omega-3s are known to reduce systemic inflammation, which is a problem with diabetes.
Mission Meats keto jerky sticks are toothsome without being overly chewy and they have 3 great flavors to choose from, all made without the use of sugar, artificial ingredients, or preservatives.
- Grass-fed beef means high omega-3s, which in turn means healthier
- Very low carb – less than 1g per stick – and made without sugar
- No preservatives, artificial flavors, or colors
- 3 delicious flavors
- A great value, or if you buy a larger box, even more discounted
- The only thing that would potentially be problematic are the flavors: while delicious, they might not be for everyone
Not only is beef jerky suitable for diabetics it’s also an ideal snack. Though you surely know to keep your sugar intake low, it’s a struggle to balance keeping your blood sugar even and avoiding those blood sugar spikes.
So if you need a healthy, low-carb, no sugar snack, the Mission Meats Keto Grass-fed Beef Sticks is our top pick
Protein as a macronutrient is very satiating, meaning you’re less likely to reach for an unhealthy snack when the craving arises if you have jerky on which to munch, and of course, protein is always needed to repair our muscles and cells.
The goal is finding a jerky that you like, that suits your needs as a person who has diabetes, but also that’s not overly expensive, difficult to purchase, or tastes bad. At the end of the day, what you want is to get a quality product that meets your goals, and there are some wonderful beef jerky companies out there that make a tasty jerky that isn’t a nutritional wasteland or loaded with ingredients you don’t want. Give them a try and snack content in the knowledge that you’ve made a great dietary choice.
Last update on 2020-05-31